Monday, April 8, 2013

Remarriage and Becoming United


In todays modern world it is so frequent that most people are not married to their first spouse and are in their second marriage. So with this how can this remarriage be an opportunity rather than a struggle that will tear at two parents new formed union? Well I would like to share a personal story and that is my brother Nic is now engaged to a widow with two children in their early teens. At first this was so different because courting is changed drastically when it goes from just an exclusive couple to that plus a pair of kids. Personally I was unsure at first because this was different and lets be honest this isn't the type of situation you frequently think of. Although as I realized that this was far more of a blessing than a burden it changed my whole perspective and I came to see the situation as something that I could learn much from. One lesson is that with remarriage there is far more to gain than lose, a specific gain is that you really are able to relate with a wider variety of people than you previously could have. For example I now can relate to widows, children who have lost a parent, blending different backgrounds, realizing that everyone has far more in common than differences, and those who are or have readjusted to a new family setting. Out of these the most profound to me personally is that I really can relate to a larger spectrum of people than I previously could have, and with hopes of being a therapist that is important. But its really important to note that remarriage, blending, and adjusting all have beautiful lessons that can be learned from them not only within out families but also in our future relationships and will help us to gain greater acceptance of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment