Saturday, April 6, 2013

Punishment or Consequences Are They Really the Same?


So I am not a parent but I have heard from the best that it is one of the most difficult tasks, like to the point of frustration that you just want to fight your 9 month old (Thank you Kevin Hart for that statistical data). But when situations arise I think it is important to implement 2 types of consequences for you children first natural consequences and logical consequences. It is most desirable to have a good balance between these because with natural consequences you soon could have one less kid if your not careful. With that thou natural consequences are the type of consequence we want children to learn most from because it does not involve you directly punishing, like when I was younger my parents told me not to play in parking lots but it wasn't until I split my head open on a sign that I realized "Wow maybe they had a point?” Although injuries should be prevented by logical consequences that are known by both the parents as well as the children. With it being mutual consensus this takes the whole burden of punishment off the shoulders of the parents and onto your child which teaches them responsibility, Logical consequences are important because if your child doesn't come home on time sending them to bed without supper is not logical like grounding them or whatever agreement you have came to. It is important that it makes sense because if it doesn't they won't learn they will just be further confused. So remember that even thou you may be annoyed at times that these kids have no experience and they are clueless in life and it is you sacred duty to guide and teach along the way and to stress that consequences are something we cannot chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment